SENIOR GAMEPLAY ENGINEER
Quell is building the future of fitness gaming. Our players get fit fighting their way through a game designed to push their physical limits while keeping them immersed in the action. Our wearable, the Quell Impact, adds real resistance, powerful haptics, heart-rate data and real-time action tracking to create a unique blend of real gaming and intense exercise.
The team is made up of passionate superstars from the likes of Square Enix, King, Meta, Paradox, EA, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, and Disney. We’ve sold $1.5m in pre-orders and raised many times that in funding from top-tier investors. Now, we’re gearing up for an explosive launch.
Shape the player’s experience in a game blending high-intensity exercise with deep, immersive gameplay. You’ll own features from inception to delivery, solving challenging problems and making smart decisions. You’ll also be an example to others, guiding and empowering other members of the engineering team to deliver high quality, robust and maintainable systems.
YOUR TYPICAL WEEK.
- Design, architect and implement key systems and tools to help create compelling and immersive gameplay
- Work with and bugfix in wide areas of our codebase with confidence
- Support and mentor team members on engineering best practices and unblock their work as necessary
- Guarantee quality by championing a thorough review process
- Ensure build stability through the use of unit and integration testing
- Research and champion new techniques to drive the product forward
- Help build a culture of constant improvement and collaboration
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 8+ years of game engineering experience
- Shipped a large title on console or mobile in Senior or Lead gameplay role
- You thrive on coming up with concrete solutions to abstract problems
- You're a great communicator that loves to collaborate within your team and across disciplines
- You have an excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals and mathematics
- Deep knowledge of C# and Unity in large, practical projects
- Experience beyond Unity – has worked on games in other engines and languages besides Unity and C#
- You're able to see the bigger picture without getting lost in the details
- Experience with AI, gameplay, and animation systems
- Experience profiling and optimising code
- Experience developing for alternative input devices (VR, Wii, Kinect, PS Move etc.)
- Experience developing for console
- Familiarity with other languages in our stack: Python and C/C++
- Design-led. Great products create great businesses, not vice versa.
- Zero ego. The best idea can come from anyone.
- Strengths-based. We build superstars by focusing on strengths, not weaknesses
- Options – We want everyone at Quell to take ownership of building our business together so we are pleased to offer all employees a stake in the business to share in our future success.
- Flexibility – Hybrid employees have the flexibility to work from home on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays – we all get together in the office on Mondays and Fridays to plan, collaborate and socialise together.
- Work from anywhere – The opportunity to work for up to 10 days per year outside of your country of employment.
- Parental leave– Equal, enhanced parental leave of 6 weeks full pay for all new parents, plus further maternity, adoption and shared parental leave in line with statutory requirements.
- Pension scheme – Quell will contribute 3% alongside an employee contribution of 5% of your qualifying earnings.
- Holiday allowance – From 1st January 2023 we will offer 25 days annual leave + bank holidays. Beginning in 2022, we will also give all employees the days off in between Christmas and New Year (an extra 3 days of holiday!)
- £300 per year Wellbeing Budget to spend via our wellbeing platform, Heka.
- £300 per year Personal Learning and Development Budget to spend on the resources that work for you, in consultation with your Line Manager.
- Access for you and your dependants to our Employee Assistance Programme and Private Telemedicine service 365 days a year, providing you with support for your mental and physical health, as well as financial and legal matters.
- Cycle to Work scheme – a tax efficient way to purchase a new bike, with most people saving at least 33%.
- PureGym discount – we have a PureGym on site at our offices in Oval, with a 5-10% discount on membership.
- Game and book library – we want everyone at Quell to have the resources to learn – whatever book you want to read or game you want to try, let us know.
- Regular team socials – bringing everyone together (both virtually and in-person) to celebrate our successes.
- Little extras – we want everyone to be comfortable and at their best at work, so we provide complimentary coffee/tea, fresh fruit and snacks throughout the day.
HOW TO GET STARTED.
Please email Martin at email@example.com with your CV and a short cover letter.
We look forward to hearing from you!
In line with the Equality Act 2010, should you require any reasonable adjustments to the application process please let us know via email and we will get back to you to discuss your requirements.Apply Now